What is the Five Lamps Arts Festival?
WE ARE A GROUP OF ENERGETIC ART AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT ENTHUSIASTS WHO CREATE AN ARTS FESTIVAL IN THE FIVE LAMPS.
Celebrating the Five Lamps landmark and surrounding community, this festival showcases a range of art forms including literature, dance, music, visual art and theatre. The Five Lamps Arts Festival is a hub for arts and community development for this area and the wider North East Inner City.
The festival was first created in 2007 by Róisín Lonergan, a teacher from Marino College at the Five Lamps. This was as a means of connecting people of all backgrounds with the arts which continues to be our main purpose today.
A non-profit organisation, the Festival has now been running for thirteen years and has gone from strength to strength. The Festival is led and supported by volunteers such as our founder Róisín Lonergan. Since its inception, this festival has grown to become a highly regarded and much-loved part of the community, and a key feature of the Dublin Cultural Calendar. Each year we have a packed schedule of events of a high artistic standard for large crowds over the course of five to seven days.
In 2019, 67 events, featuring over 200 performers, supported by 40 volunteers were hosted across the North East Inner City. The programme attracted over 5,000 guests. In 2020, the festival has been released through an online edition of the Festival on its YouTube page. There are many full act performances as well as the 2020 Festival Film.
When people ask; What is the Five Lamps Arts Festival? We like to tell them that it is all that is good about art, artists, performers and community. We are proud to include in our programme anyone with a story to tell and a venue willing to host them.
Our mission is simple…
- Promote local artists, producers and venues.
- Develop local ownership of the festival by encouraging the involvement of individuals, groups, communities and businesses in aspects of its planning, presentation and evaluation.
- Work in partnership with key organizations at local, regional, national and international level to develop specific areas of the programme and explore the potential for collaboration and co-commissioning.
- Assist audiences who come to the Five Lamps by helping them to navigate what’s on offer with comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date information and ticketing.
- Promote this wonderful and unique festival within the community, and to the rest of Dublin and Ireland.